Shop build

Tech talk for those wrench turners on your trail rig.

Moderators: Exec Committee, Mods, Admin

akjason
Official Club Member

Re: Shop build

Post by akjason » Mon May 07, 2018 8:50 am

Well I drew up an outside attic stairs scenario that would work, but it requires two deck platforms and a lot of railing. I'm not sure the cost/benefit is there and Lisa didn't like it, so attic stairs are staying inside.

TwoStep
Official Club Member

Post by TwoStep » Mon May 07, 2018 9:24 am

Good point about the air right at the tank outlet... My new shop actually has normal old flexible 1/2" ID air hose running from the tank (back corner of the back bay) up to the front bays. At that point I added a 4-way and plumbed in a reel right in the middle and ran PEX feeder lines to each end of the front shop. Convenient enough, I found a 150' roll of 1/2" pex laying on the side of I-64 right about the time that we bought the new place. When it comes time to replace the main line hose I'll go with 3/4" PEX.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing screams poor workmanship more than wrinkles in the duct tape.

or
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Mon May 07, 2018 11:19 am

What i'm reading for compressor sheds is that it's pretty common to use an off-the-shelf length of hydraulic hose from somewhere like tractor supply (cheap and readily available) to go from the compressor, through conduit connecting the shed to the garage, and then to a T on the garage plumbing. Bottom leg of T is a drain line, top leg is the main supply line to the rest of the garage. Hydraulic hose will obviously handle the pressure and higher temp at compressor outlet, but I have to do more reading on if air temp will be cool enough at the T before it gets to PEX.

stretch_o
Mud Bogger

Post by stretch_o » Mon May 07, 2018 1:44 pm

Personally I would use black iron pipe with forged fittings for my main supply line. With a short rubber hose between the pipe and compressor for vibration isolation. Then a drip leg and moisture separator.

No matter what you use, avoid any sharp turns directly out of the compressor because of excessive heat build up.

TwoStep
Official Club Member

Post by TwoStep » Mon May 07, 2018 4:22 pm

Any plans for plumbing? An outside hydrant and an indoor shop sink sure are handy. Of course the sink would be best added later after the final inspection is done.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing screams poor workmanship more than wrinkles in the duct tape.

or
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Mon May 07, 2018 5:25 pm

stretch_o wrote:Personally I would use black iron pipe with forged fittings for my main supply line.
Thanks, a hybrid system isn't out of the question. I think at this point its a matter of doing the layout and figuring out actual prices. Since that won't happen at least until after i send the plans out for bid, I'm going to table the air distribution discussion until I can do some more research.
TwoStep wrote:Any plans for plumbing?
While I'd love to have a utility sink, I don't think I'm going to mess with it. The walk out basement door is on that corner of the house, and it's got a utility sink just inside the door with hot and cold water. Theres also a water spigot on that same corner. So I'll take the opportunity to not spend that money.

CJ51973
Exec Committee Member

Post by CJ51973 » Mon May 07, 2018 5:42 pm

If you do a hydrant I have tips[THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
88 YJ, 258/TF999/4:10 8.8 Ford

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Mon May 07, 2018 6:49 pm

So what are you guys calling a hydrant?

CJ51973
Exec Committee Member

Post by CJ51973 » Mon May 07, 2018 7:17 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
88 YJ, 258/TF999/4:10 8.8 Ford

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Mon May 07, 2018 7:35 pm

Huh, ok. I thought it was a slang term or something. I actually have one of those out where the pool was, near the third shed.