The Garbage Truck: Phase 2 - Donor Prep

Tech talk for those wrench turners on your trail rig.

Moderators: Exec Committee, Mods, Admin

akjason
Official Club Member

The Garbage Truck: Phase 2 - Donor Prep

Post by akjason » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:36 pm

I officially began the donor prep stage of my project. Phase 1 - Design is still ongoing, and can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8433

Rob came over and helped me shed some weight from the 14b. The plan was to cut off all the stock brackets on it and the 60, but the solid cast spring perch on the 14b killed my two cutoff wheels. So I'm picking more up today to finish throughout this week. I loved how easy it was to remove the shafts (and everything else on that axle for that matter). I'm now a devoted full float axle fan.
IMAG0186.jpg
14b drums removed
We also pulled apart the 60 to see what kind of shape things were in. No surprises, once we figured out how to start removing stuff. I've never worked on these kind of axles, so I was flying blind as far as how things come apart.
IMAG0188.jpg
D60 hubs removed
I didn't have the 4-prong spindle nut socket for the D60, so I picked one up from Advance for $16 (size is 2 3/5"). The 14b has a similar nut that is 6-pronged (it was loose enough to remove by hand), but they both have the same thread size so I will pick up another pair of 4-prong nuts for the 14b so I don't have to carry around two spindle nut sockets in the trail bag.
IMAG0182.jpg
D60 spindle nut
This is the parts pile so far, a mix of good stuff and scrap. There's a D300 in there somewhere too.
IMAG0187.jpg
Parts pile

Coach
Official Club Member

Re: The Garbage Truck: Phase 2 - Donor Prep

Post by Coach » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:40 am

I've seen them a million times, but the drums next to the D300 really shows just how ridiculous those things are.
'95 YJ with a bunch of junk scattered on the garage floor.

TwoStep
Official Club Member

Post by TwoStep » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:12 am

Good start Jason. You changing the stubs to 35 spline? When the time comes I've got a set of D60 setup bearings that are collecting dust on the shelf.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing screams poor workmanship more than wrinkles in the duct tape.

or
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:21 am

No plan to change to anything that I can't readily get from a parts store or junk yard. Thanks for the offer of setup bearings, I'll need them when I lock the 60. That won't happen for some time though, since it doesn't affect the design/layout/fab work.

robhurlburt
Rope Puller

Post by robhurlburt » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:52 pm

Action shot:

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:55 pm

Woohoo! I didn't even know you took that, haha.

TwoStep
Official Club Member

Post by TwoStep » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:21 pm

akjason wrote:No plan to change to anything that I can't readily get from a parts store or junk yard.
hmmm not sure about a junk yard but they are readily available at any spicer dealer. Mine are just normal spicer dana 70 stub shafts.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:32 am

TwoStep wrote:hmmm not sure about a junk yard but they are readily available at any spicer dealer. Mine are just normal spicer dana 70 stub shafts.
Ah, didn't realize that. Might have to consider it then, at least if/when these ones break. Does anything else need to change with the stubs? Or is it a direct swap?

* edit * Obviously the lockout would need to change to 35 spline as well, but I was more referring to the hub, bearings, etc.

uglyoffroad
Rock Krawler

Post by uglyoffroad » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:33 pm

Are you going to shave the 14 bolt? If you decide to, take some good pics and post them. It's on the to-do list on my buggy.
CHROME DON'T GET YA HOME

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:22 pm

Yeah, but it won't be right away since it's not critical to the build. Something along the lines of the ballistic kit, because their cover has bolts on the bottom to keep it from peeling back. I haven't looked too hard for similar options though.
http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/14- ... _1728.html

TwoStep
Official Club Member

Post by TwoStep » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:32 pm

akjason wrote:Ah, didn't realize that. Might have to consider it then, at least if/when these ones break. Does anything else need to change with the stubs? Or is it a direct swap?

* edit * Obviously the lockout would need to change to 35 spline as well, but I was more referring to the hub, bearings, etc.
I used drive flanges and would advise anyone else to do the same (even if driven on the road, as long as you aren't running a spool) so of course they have to be 35 spline. Other than that, nothing changes. No way would I replace axle joints and put 30 splines back in...

Here is a picture from billavista's d60 page:

edit: I guess this post should be in the "planning" thread...

or
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:17 pm

No biggie, I started the discussion in the design thread.

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:42 pm

Got some more grinding done tonight. It took 6 harbor freight cutoff wheels to get the spring pads off the 14B, whew! I've got a couple gouges to fill in with weld and grind smooth, but that'll wait until after I strip the 60 tomorrow night.
IMAG0260.jpg
IMAG0270.jpg

Coach
Official Club Member

Post by Coach » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:49 pm

DeWalt wheels from TSC FTW! I'm a Harbor Freight junky, but I went through a ton of those things grinding on my last axle tear down. The DeWalts ended up being cheaper because they cut better and lasted longer.
'95 YJ with a bunch of junk scattered on the garage floor.

SweetPee
Official Club Member

Post by SweetPee » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:52 pm

Coach wrote:DeWalt wheels from TSC FTW! I'm a Harbor Freight junky, but I went through a ton of those things grinding on my last axle tear down. The DeWalts ended up being cheaper because they cut better and lasted longer.

2nd about the dewalt wheels. the only thing I have found better, when I can find them.... are any cuttoff wheels or grinding wheels made by Flex-o-Vit