The Garbage Truck: Phase One – Design

Tech talk for those wrench turners on your trail rig.

Moderators: Exec Committee, Mods, Admin

akjason
Official Club Member

The Garbage Truck: Phase One – Design

Post by akjason » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:05 pm

Welcome to the official Garbage Truck design thread! :pbj:
No, this is not a build thread because I'm not ready to build yet. *EDIT 1/3/14* Phase 2 will be donor prep (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9927), Phase 3 will be the actual build and Phase 4 will be testing. Those will be separate threads when the time comes.

A little bit o' background - the name "Garbage Truck" pays homage to the S-10 Blazer the powertrain came from. It was my buddy's truck while at school in Rochester, NY, home of the Garbage Plate. Google it – they’re disgusting(ly good).

Basics
Tube buggy chassis and suspension designed by me
Reliable and readily available parts, minimal fancy custom high-dollar stuff.
Low CoG
Relatively light weight and nimble
3-4 seats
Somewhere around 105-110” wheelbase

Drivetrain
Chevy 4.3L TBI V6
700R4 auto tranny
NP231/D300 doubler (or Atlas 4 speed??)

Suspension
Triangulated long arm rear
Whatever I can do to avoid a track bar in the front
Coilovers front and rear
*EDIT* I ended up going with 14" ORI struts all around

Steering
Full hydraulic

Axles
Dana 60 front with Detroit locker
14-bolt rear with Detroit locker

Running gear
39.5” tires *EDIT 1/4/14* I picked up a set of 42" TSL tires
HMMWV double beadlock wheels

Goals
- Use as many Blazer components as I can to keep costs down (radiator, steering column, etc)
- Weather-tight and heated cabin with removable panels/windows for those nice summer days
- Street legal so I can register it and wheel slade without worrying about the wood cops
- Computer-designed and analyzed (after all, I am an engineer)

Note: The specs in this post will be updated/modified as my research continues and the design evolves.

akjason
Official Club Member

Re: The Garbage Truck: Phase One – Design

Post by akjason » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:29 pm

I'm game for any design suggestions anyone has. Or things to avoid. I'm starting from a clean slate, so it's easy to make those decisions now. For example, Bobby had suggested making all the control arms the same so I only need to carry one spare. That's a great idea :chug

One thing I've always been wondering in the back of my mind: which gauges are a necessity, which would be nice to have, and which are of no use? Tranny oil temp, diff oil temp, etc?

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:32 pm

I'm 80% sure I'm going to go with coilovers, still need to do more research on air shocks though.

TwoStep
Official Club Member

Post by TwoStep » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:07 pm

mandatory gauges: water temp, oil pressure.

bling gauges: trans temp, volt meter, fuel level, air pressure (oba), boost (turbo'd :rock )
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing screams poor workmanship more than wrinkles in the duct tape.

or
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

Josh40601
Axle Breaker

Post by Josh40601 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:25 pm

whatever you do, skin it with something cool. the plain alluminum skins are ghey. Recently a lot of guys have been skinning their rigs with old school truck panels. I personally think this is the best freaking thing since implants. Some people are doing the fiberglass panels, which are only cool if they are molded after old school trucks, so that is another option.

My two favorite all time buggies. And yes, they are both buddies with just old school panels

http://davidgtaylor.smugmug.com/Savethe ... &k=DVLTGbF

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/featuredve ... evy_buggy/

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/featuredve ... nco_buggy/
Authorized Yukon Dealer

Josh Parrish
859-421-6686

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:05 pm

Gonna definitely do a kill switch. An old buddy of mine almost had his little yota go up in flames when he flopped it and shorted out some wires when the cab shifted. Luckily the wires burnt up before they set anything on fire.

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:11 pm

That's a pretty cool idea, and I give major props to the fiberglass EB body, but the old school truck skins aren't my thing :chug

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:23 pm

Bobby, I think trans temp and volt meter will definitely go in with coolant temp and oil pressure. Fuel level will depend on whether I go with a fuel cell or if I can stick with the blazer tank.

SweetPee
Official Club Member

Post by SweetPee » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:28 pm

IDK about you, but I would want a tach, and if it is OTH usable isn't it mandatory to have a speedometer.

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:17 pm

haha, I didn't even think to mention those because they were always going to be there in my mind

TwoStep
Official Club Member

Post by TwoStep » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:53 pm

I didn't mention a tach because I don't see much need in one except for maybe keeping it at 2K for optimal alt output. Speedo's are required by law. What is your plans of getting tags? buy an old beater xj or something and us it's title?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

Redriverranger
Axle Breaker

Post by Redriverranger » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:17 pm

You don't need a tach. Like your going to watch it and let off the gas on a bad trail section because you are over cranking the engine? No. You are looking straight ahead cranking the steering wheel to keep from hitting that tree aiming for you and trying to jump that ledge..... Wait a minute, that's me. Reality check. If you are worried about overcranking your engine, put a rev limiter on it, if it dosen't have one built in. Gauges you need are oil pressure and engine temperature. Pleasers are voltmeter, fuel. Tranny temp would be nice, but I usually know when mine is way too hot.(puking fluid and smoke going everywhere). Ok, add a tranny gauge.
91 Ranger ext cab--trail rig. (D60 front, 14 bolt rear, 4.88's, ARB and weld, injected 5.0, C6 auto, doubler, 4wheel discs,39.5 TSL's, double bead locks, warn 8000,full hydro, etc....)

Reeko
Golf Pro

Post by Reeko » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:23 pm

akjason wrote:Gonna definitely do a kill switch. An old buddy of mine almost had his little yota go up in flames when he flopped it and shorted out some wires when the cab shifted. Luckily the wires burnt up before they set anything on fire.

What ever happened to that Yota? Did he sell it or is it still sitting in Mr. jones' garage?
Neglected little porky TJ. Oh, and it is red!

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:26 pm

Eric, I believe he sold it. I dunno, he hasn't talked with any of us in years.

Bobby, I plan on registering it as the 1992 blazer that I'm buying from my buddy. It'll use many of the components, specifically the entire drivetrain. At the worst, I can apply for a new vin, it just isn't as straight forward. Registration and insurance on a 1992 blazer can't be that expensive!

TwoStep
Official Club Member

Post by TwoStep » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Stick with the blazer tags... way less hassle. Mine is still an XJ as far as paper goes.

or
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ