Page 21 of 21

Re: Project: "rover" >> "goose" >> "the goat"

Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:25 am
by TwoStep
It’s been a while since I’ve updated but after crushing my steering ram I decided to finally upgrade to a DE ram behind the axle with double sheared high steer arms. Here is the ram mounted. Next I’ve got to move the lower mounts for the shocks in board and attach the tie rods to the ram.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Project: "rover" >> "goose" >> "the goat"

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:50 am
by TwoStep
New steering setup is finished. The high steer arms are slightly longer than the factory arms so the turning isn’t as sharp but I finally don’t have to worry about my tie rod!

Image

Re: Project: "rover" >> "goose" >> "the goat"

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:05 am
by akjason
Looks good! No affect to your up travel with engine pulley clearance?

Re: Project: "rover" >> "goose" >> "the goat"

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:43 pm
by TwoStep
akjason wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:05 am
Looks good! No affect to your up travel with engine pulley clearance?
No issues. Full stuff with no springs in I still have about 1.5" of clearance.

Re: Project: "rover" >> "goose" >> "the goat"

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:28 pm
by akjason
Very nice!

Project:

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:19 am
by TwoStep
Got the new steering buttoned up. New hardware, and “best I could do without welding to my knuckles” double sheer brackets. I've got an idea how to make these much better but is what I had on hand.


Image

Also installed new heims for the panhard bar. The original 7/8” heim with 3/4” bores lasted pretty well unlike the ones on the original tierod. That tierod had a hard life though.

Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Project: "rover" >> "goose" >> "the goat"

Posted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:23 am
by akjason
I'll be interested to see how your double shear bracket holds up. I decided to avoid that bracket by going single shear using a tie rod end with tapered shaft. Who knows when I'll actually be able to put mine to the test though...