Project: "rover" >> "goose" >> "the goat"

Tech talk for those wrench turners on your trail rig.

Moderators: Exec Committee, Mods, Admin

TwoStep
Official Club Member

Project: "rover" >> "goose" >> "the goat"

Post by TwoStep » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:38 pm

This is my build of a TJ tub on a tube frame with a 4.0/aw4/d300. Dana 300 will be treated to an Advance Adaptors HD 32 spline rear output with 1400 series flange and parking brake assembly and the front will have a JB conversions 32 spline output with a 1410 yoke. Front axle is a Dodge D60, 3 linked and on coils, a detroit, stock inner shafts, stock spicer joints and 35 stubs. Rear axle is a 14 bolt, 4 linked on coils with stock shafts, disc brakes and welded. Both with 5.13 gears and H1's with 38.5" SX's. I have no top so I plan to build the cage so that I can use a Besttop Trektop. I also plan to build a trail rig that will be durable, can hold two adults, a couple of kids and a cooler. The tub came with a dry rotted TJ dash but was lacking the important parts so I'm thinking of going with a CJ dash and Heater, something old school to add some class.

This is my first full on build so I'm open to any suggestions.

I've read before you should start your build with the tires you want to run and believe it or not, I started the build with these:

Then I picked up a d60 and d70 I (that I ended up not using) along with a TJ tub:

Got a 14 bolt for the rear:

Collected some parts for the front axle (the small joint and stub are d44 stuff for comparison):

Then I started laying things out:

Got a few new parts as well as some beautiful help:

Finally got some fab started:
Last edited by TwoStep on Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing screams poor workmanship more than wrinkles in the duct tape.

or
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

TwoStep
Official Club Member

Re: Project "Rover"

Post by TwoStep » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:47 pm

More fab:
Xmember and motor mounts ready for some primer.

Aww, finally the cherry picker gets some rest.

More parts came in, thank you Advance Adaptor, JB Conversions and Ballistic fab:

Tranny mount is next:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

or
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

postaldave
Axle Breaker

Post by postaldave » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:47 pm

Funny, I started my build with those very same tires. ;.)
1977 Toyota FJ40 (Yoda Monster)
1996 Jeep XJ( The @$%@$ Red Head)

http://www.facebook.com/postaldave.anderson[/color][/b]

robtackett
Weekend Warrior

Post by robtackett » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:10 pm

good looking start, keep up the good work and the good pics
1979 Toyota Fj40 LandCruiser mostly blue with white top
1993 SC300 w/1jz swap

TwoStep
Official Club Member

Post by TwoStep » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:50 pm

links are expensive!!!! i hope these last a while.
1.25" QA1's:

or
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

dougg01
Rock Krawler

Post by dougg01 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:27 pm

Wow... I remember when you posted about picking up the tub. Glad you get the family out there to help. Right now if its not a video game no one wants any part of 'garage work'.
DougG
1997 Blazer 4dr - 1.5 lift, 31x10.50s, cat-back, K&N, PCM tune, rear locker, qk-disco sways...rebuilt front....not much. The semi-capable DD.

TwoStep
Official Club Member

Post by TwoStep » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:22 pm

started laying out the front lower links and front drive shaft, they are made out of that new ultra low weight polyvinylchloride alloy :rock The wood plug is the same OD is 3", same as a HAD 1410 drive shaft. The factory shock mounts make really convenienty mock up link mounts:

not too happy about the drive shaft being so far below the lower links.

Looks to be plenty of room for steering at 35 degrees.

got the drivetrain back off and flipped the frame to work on the lower link mounts.
Before:

After:

bottom of the mount will probably start something like this:

You'll also notice that I've cut down the body mounts too. Before they were way too big with a lot of extra weight.
Last edited by TwoStep on Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

or
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

postaldave
Axle Breaker

Post by postaldave » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:59 pm

nice progress. coming along nicely.

TwoStep
Official Club Member

Post by TwoStep » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:29 pm

Lower link mounts fab'd and one tacked to the frame, then I ran out of weld wire AND argon. Looks like I'm "honey-doing" tomorrow.

or
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

TwoStep
Official Club Member

Post by TwoStep » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:21 pm

gotta get started on the lower link mounts/coil spring pad supports/panhard bracket.

or
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

postaldave
Axle Breaker

Post by postaldave » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:27 pm

those PVC links should offer lots of flex and not kink or bend like metal.
loving the russian style of building. that should last for a couple hundred years.
and looking dang good i might add.

so are you 5 linking it?

Reeko
Golf Pro

Project "Rover"

Post by Reeko » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:21 am

looks good!

Sent from my iPhoneloo using Tapatalk
Neglected little porky TJ. Oh, and it is red!

TwoStep
Official Club Member

Post by TwoStep » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:30 am

postaldave wrote:those PVC links should offer lots of flex and not kink or bend like metal.
loving the russian style of building. that should last for a couple hundred years.
and looking dang good i might add.

so are you 5 linking it?
Thanks for the compliments!

Yeah, with one income and a family... I'm not going to be able to rebuild this thing every couple of years so I better build it right!

After I destroyed my XJ on the rocks I learned a little bit better where the beef needs to be on the bottom side. My last link mounts were 3/16" and after dropping the junk on it several times through out the year, it was bent so bad I had to pry it open to get the link out. My theory is that since I want this thing to stay low the lowers will be taking serious beatings regularly, constantly being slammed down on rocks and sliding over rock, so the brackets had better be HD with flat bottoms. The single upper will have to take all of the axles rotational force so and I'm not sure how well the 7/8" heims will hold up so I built the upper link bracket so that I could upgrade to the 1.25" units if need be. The axle side brackets will also be made from 1/4". Another thing, I neither have the money to buy or the room to store a full line of plate thickness' so I supplied myself with a sheet of 1/4" and 1/8". When it comes time for building the removable tunnel I'll pick up some 16 or 20 gauge.

It will be 3 linked in the front, 4 in the rear.

or
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

postaldave
Axle Breaker

Post by postaldave » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:41 am

Sounds like good planning. The small amount of extra weight should be worth it. Being so low on the rig it might even help. I really like it, those are some manly link mounts for sure.

But didn't you mean your wifes XJ?

Redriverranger
Axle Breaker

Post by Redriverranger » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:13 pm

TwoStep wrote:
postaldave wrote:. The single upper will have to take all of the axles rotational force so and I'm not sure how well the 7/8" heims will hold up so I built the upper link bracket so that I could upgrade to the 1.25" units if need be. It will be 3 linked in the front, 4 in the rear.
If the 7/8 heim is of good quality, it should be fine. I run a single arm on my drivers side, that takes all the rotational force on my rig with a wristed arm on the passenger side. The lower heim on the axle end is a 7/8x 3/4. The upper heim on the axle end is a 3/4x 5/8 (40,000 pound rated) . I broke a 24,000 pound heim. I would agree that bigger is better on these parts and would probably have installed larger on my rig if I had to do it all over again. I hate trail failures. The reason the lower is larger is that the threads stripped out of the bung and I had to upgrade. BTW, I prefer a steel on steel heim, not teflon or kevlar lined for this application. My experience is that the liner get's beat out pretty fast, and it get's sloppy quick. It takes a long time to wear a metal on metal heim to the point that a lined heim becomes when the liner falls out after a couple months of bashing.
91 Ranger ext cab--trail rig. (D60 front, 14 bolt rear, 4.88's, ARB and weld, injected 5.0, C6 auto, doubler, 4wheel discs,39.5 TSL's, double bead locks, warn 8000,full hydro, etc....)