Shop build

Tech talk for those wrench turners on your trail rig.

Moderators: Exec Committee, Mods, Admin

akjason
Official Club Member

Re: Shop build

Post by akjason » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:03 pm

ky mudhunters wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:26 pm
You mentioned a right angle drill for wiring. When I wired my house back in the spring we did most of the drilling with a Dewalt impact and wood drill bits like these https://www.grainger.com/product/1PMT8? ... 73742548! . It is a lot easier than lugging around a 90° drill all day. We still had to use the 90°in a few spots but not many.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a cordless impact that might work well with that strategy. I still haven't ruled out running the wire in surface mounted PVC conduit either.

TwoStep
Official Club Member

Post by TwoStep » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:40 am

For wall covering, keep in mind that drywall is designed for fire resistance unlike plywood. My dad's garage would have likely burned to the ground if he had plywood walls when he had a plug melt down and ignite. I would go drywall and I would hire it out because I am horrible with mud.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing screams poor workmanship more than wrinkles in the duct tape.

or
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:01 am

I keep going back and forth on this. Just the panels alone, plywood is twice as expensive than drywall. Like $750 more. I need to get some bids to hire out the drywall, because to do it myself I'd have to rent a drywall lift, rent a scissor lift, and still end up with a crappy tape/mud job. I'd paint the ceiling/walls regardless of drywall or plywood, so that's a wash.

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:42 pm

There's also the option of hanging drywall but not taping/mudding it. I've not been able to find anything about the fire resistance of drywall that's taped/mudded vs not. But I could apply paintable fire resistant caulk in the joints pretty easily, and live with the "finished" seams, which would be there with plywood as well. This might allow for some thermal expansion of the drywall without cracking?

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:11 am

Does anyone have experience/opinions on wiring with surface-mounted conduit (haven't looked too much into PVC vs EMT) vs drilling studs for romex in the walls? Walls are going to be 2x4 16" on center. Air lines will be surface mounted eventually as well (not PVC though), so it wouldn't be visually out of place. This would allow me to insulate/sheath/paint the inside without worrying about wires in the wall cavities. Or I could do a hybrid - run romex up to in the attic and across/along the trusses, with junction boxes in the attic for drops from the ceiling down the wall to the outlet. Thoughts?

ky mudhunters
Throttle Jockey

Post by ky mudhunters » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:21 pm

The Romex is definitely faster to run. Pushing a lot of wires through conduit can be a pain especially if you have multiple bends.
85 S-10, 5.7L LT1, NV4500, 203/205 doubler, D44 Ft, Ford 9" Rr, locked, sitting on 36" Iroks

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:19 pm

I think if I do anything with conduit, I'd do the hybrid method. I'd be pulling wire through ~10ft of conduit, with maybe a single 45deg bend in the attic to get it above the insulation and pointed along the roof. Hmm, still more research to do.

ky mudhunters
Throttle Jockey

Post by ky mudhunters » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:28 pm

My shop is all ran in EMT. I can take some pics if you wanted to see how it looks. I don’t have any drywall or plywood though. My shop is a steel frame with the white backed insulation on all the walls and roof.
85 S-10, 5.7L LT1, NV4500, 203/205 doubler, D44 Ft, Ford 9" Rr, locked, sitting on 36" Iroks

TwoStep
Official Club Member

Post by TwoStep » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:34 am

Now that the season is at hand, what are your plans for heating the new shop?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing screams poor workmanship more than wrinkles in the duct tape.

or
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ

akjason
Official Club Member

Post by akjason » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:02 am

ky mudhunters wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:28 pm
My shop is all ran in EMT. I can take some pics if you wanted to see how it looks. I don’t have any drywall or plywood though. My shop is a steel frame with the white backed insulation on all the walls and roof.
Sorry, missed your reply. Thanks for the offer, but I've convinced myself to just wire it the traditional way with romex through the studs. Gonna try out the drill bits you posted earlier though, to see if I can get away without using a right angle drill.

TwoStep wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:34 am
Now that the season is at hand, what are your plans for heating the new shop?
I went from PTAC (hotel unit), to needing two of them due to size of the shop, then briefly considered DIY mini-split for similar costs, then decided it wasn't worth the cost/complexity and now I'm just going to use the same electric unit I had in my last garage (Link). Gonna mount two in opposite corners of the garage at the ceiling, controlled by a single wireless thermostat (that will eventually be mounted on the lift post near the center of the garage). I'll also have 4 60" ceiling fans (Link) that come with their own wall-mounted speed controls. So the insulation, electric heat, and fans ought to keep it nice and comfy in the winter. For the summer, I will install retractable screens in the man-doors that are strategically placed on opposite corners of the garage, so I can have bug-free cross-ventilation during the summer supplemented by the ceiling fans.

If anyone has a stand-alone propane heater that I can borrow until I get the heaters operational, let me know!

Reeko
Golf Pro

Post by Reeko » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:13 pm

I went with Pioneer brand 220v Mini-Split for the shack. Hope to install it in December and see how it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neglected little porky TJ. Oh, and it is red!