USFS is trying to close more in the Slade area

General discussion area. Anything goes here.

Moderators: Exec Committee, Mods, Admin

wayneraintree
Throttle Jockey

Post by wayneraintree » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:14 pm

I have been tracking the progress of this project called "SandLick/Bigbend Watershed Improvement" on this USFS document all year to see if it got funding because:

see page # 2

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/documents ... 0_2jan.pdf

* Sandlick Hollow is where the remainder of the wheeling on public land is open as listed in the Motor Vehicle Use Map as fire road 212, 212A, and 2043 (Need to double check the #'s)

* "improving" a watershed usually means closing it to only foot travel after they perform an environmental assessment, propose an action, open a comment period, then take the action. (This is what they did to close the Arch Trail without any public comments!)

* It is a pretty slick way of going through the backdoor of the USFS process to close an area without representing the publics interest and I know it.

I knew all this was going on but was under the impression that the project lacked funding because I spoke with Ranger Jeff Lewis multiple times on this topic. Needless to say, they did get funding and moved on with the project without updating the "proposed actions" PDF I linked above... I am furious :bang:

so.... :Tank: bring out the artillery... so I get antsy and emailed Jeff Lewis twice in a week asking him how to engage the forest service to work with the OHV community to propose an official OHV trail system in the Sandlick/Bigbend area. He would not get back to me. Today I receive this response from the head man himself:

Jeff, as you are aware we do not have an official OHV trail system in the Sandlick area nor do we have any definite plans for one at this time. We have completed inventories to gather data on current resource conditions in the area and will have a proposed action to address these findings out for public review by the end of September of this year. You can comment on that in light of your interests in that area."

So basically, he tells me to comment when appropriate because he has no plans of proposing that the area we have all used for OHV trekking for decades is not a trail system anyway and he can propose to close it for whatever environmental reason they decide to use in this case (brook trout? no...... oil in the water? well it sits on the big sinking oil deposit :roll: .... erosion caused by tires :evil: )

I've requested all the documents they used to close the White's Branch Arch trail earlier this year and my final analysis of that situation is this (I wasn't living in KY at the time that happened so for my own personal closure I had to know what happened):

The Sierra Club wanted the Arch trail closed to OHV (see page 6! :x http://kentucky.sierraclub.org/newsroom ... ws1006.pdf)

The USFS had not maintained that section of trail to the standards of the federally funded Sheltowee Trace National Recreation Trail so they were in violation of the standards and thus in violation of the receiving the funding they already took.

Private interests had loads of money to spend.. so........ Manner proposed to close the trail and take action to stop OHV travel. Well, HE RECEIVED ZERO COMMENTS OPPOSING THE ACTION. So he closed the trail. Then the land past the arch was sold to the nature conservancy (or KY Heartwood? Need to verify), then they spent a few hundred thousand tax payer dollars to trench down to bed rock across the trail, both the trail leading to the "Nature Trail" and at the entrance to the Arch Trail and all along the Arch trail. No kidding, they trenched down to bedrock and caused more damage than a million OHV's could cause. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2azCZMo9Jhw

So.... bringing me back to my position at this time. We are in a bad position. They are going to close it all just like they did the Arch Trail and Nature Trail. He has no intention of listening to the public users of this area and working with us.

We all need to email AND call District Ranger Dave Manner and tell him to propose an official OHV trail system in the Sandlick/Bigbend Area before he proposes that it all be closed. I asked him to do this, telling him that if people opposed it he would hear about it during the comment period but to propose anything contrary to the historic and present use of the area would be against the public's desire to have multi-use access to the backcountry.

Dave Manner
District Ranger
Daniel Boone National Forest
Cumberland Ranger District
2375 KY 801 South
Morehead, Kentucky 40351
606-784-6428 Office
[email protected]

I am open to suggestions as to how to proceed. I think that the timing is critical here. If you've followed any of the land use issues nationally, (tellico for example, Livingstone as another) you know we are in trouble and need to act now in mass.

Jeff

bgwyllys61
Internet Addict

Re: USFS is trying to close more in the Slade area

Post by bgwyllys61 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:19 pm

just out of curiousity, why would comments go to the morehead office vs the winchester office? is there no one in charge of the area at the winchester office?
Will
#########################
97 xj country
hp 44 locked 5.13s
ford 9" locked 5.13s
36" TSLs
Hybrid cage
custom 3 link front

wilburburns
Internet Addict

Post by wilburburns » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:12 am

bgwyllys61 wrote:just out of curiousity, why would comments go to the morehead office vs the winchester office? is there no one in charge of the area at the winchester office?
The Cumberland District headquarters is located in Morehead.

Winchester does not manage the Gorge or Slade area.

Cliff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wayneraintree
Throttle Jockey

Post by wayneraintree » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:18 am

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I was hopeful this site would help get some calls headed his way.
Any suggestions on who I can call that would help m mobilize an effort here? ZFD people? is there a emailing list for that trailride/clean-up?

If we don't get him to propose the area as the OHV area that it is, it will be virtually impossible to challenge a decision to a proposed ban on OHV access with "comments"... see Tellico as an example. The public needs to be commenting on the proposal of making the area officially an OHV Trail System, not an OHV ban on an area open on the MVUM and for decades to OHV's

Redriverranger
Axle Breaker

Post by Redriverranger » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:39 pm

The public has been commenting. We met on several occasions with the forest service over the last year on this exact issue. For some reason, the topic was dropped, or fell by the wayside, or they decided that there could be no common ground.
91 Ranger ext cab--trail rig. (D60 front, 14 bolt rear, 4.88's, ARB and weld, injected 5.0, C6 auto, doubler, 4wheel discs,39.5 TSL's, double bead locks, warn 8000,full hydro, etc....)

wayneraintree
Throttle Jockey

Post by wayneraintree » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:07 pm

I did read the other thread and I thank you for the summary from someone that attended those meetings.

The project that he is about to propose action on is this:

Sand Lick-Big Bend Watershed Improvement
CE
- Road management - Watershed management
On Hold
N/A
N/A
Jeffrey Lewis 606-784-6428 [email protected]
Description: Improve water quality and reduce soil loss in riparian and rare areas by managing and maintaining the many open roads in the Sand Lick and Big Bend Watersheds.
Web Link: http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/planning/ ... ndex.shtml
Location: UNIT - Cumberland Ranger District. STATE - Kentucky. COUNTY - Powell, Wolfe. Sand Lick and Big Bend Watersheds.

He clearly recognizes the roads in the definition of the project and description: Improve water quality and reduce soil loss in riparian and rare areas by managing and maintaining the many open roads in the Sand Lick and Big Bend Watersheds. The roads were inventoried and listed as open on the MVUM, and it's been open physically (no gates, signs to the contrary, etc.) for decades. Sounds like a perfect time to insist on a federally funded OHV Trail System with cooperation from the many user and user-groups... this is the answer the user-groups and users must insist upon.

I appreciate all everyone has done previously on this issue but this new effort and the "manner" in which it is being conducted is not OK. He made some mistakes in his process already and the timing is critical to DRAW A LINE IN THE SANDLICK or we will lose what's left. Has he even contacted anyone who previously met with him on this issue with this news or had any update since they have done work to gather data and such? Unacceptable, this project has been conducted under the radar and is eerily similar to the closing and destruction of the Narrows Road. I was not in KY when that occurred and I am simply trying to end a possible repeat.

Reeko
Golf Pro

Post by Reeko » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:21 am

wayneraintree wrote:I did read the other thread and I thank you for the summary from someone that attended those meetings.

The project that he is about to propose action on is this:

Sand Lick-Big Bend Watershed Improvement
CE
- Road management - Watershed management
On Hold
N/A
N/A
Jeffrey Lewis 606-784-6428 [email protected]
Description: Improve water quality and reduce soil loss in riparian and rare areas by managing and maintaining the many open roads in the Sand Lick and Big Bend Watersheds.
Web Link: http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/planning/ ... ndex.shtml
Location: UNIT - Cumberland Ranger District. STATE - Kentucky. COUNTY - Powell, Wolfe. Sand Lick and Big Bend Watersheds.

He clearly recognizes the roads in the definition of the project and description: Improve water quality and reduce soil loss in riparian and rare areas by managing and maintaining the many open roads in the Sand Lick and Big Bend Watersheds. The roads were inventoried and listed as open on the MVUM, and it's been open physically (no gates, signs to the contrary, etc.) for decades. Sounds like a perfect time to insist on a federally funded OHV Trail System with cooperation from the many user and user-groups... this is the answer the user-groups and users must insist upon.

I appreciate all everyone has done previously on this issue but this new effort and the "manner" in which it is being conducted is not OK. He made some mistakes in his process already and the timing is critical to DRAW A LINE IN THE SANDLICK or we will lose what's left. Has he even contacted anyone who previously met with him on this issue with this news or had any update since they have done work to gather data and such? Unacceptable, this project has been conducted under the radar and is eerily similar to the closing and destruction of the Narrows Road. I was not in KY when that occurred and I am simply trying to end a possible repeat.

Our efforts more than likely will fall on deaf ears as they have in the past but PM me and we can set up a meeting to discuss and get the ball rolling.

Eric
Neglected little porky TJ. Oh, and it is red!

wayneraintree
Throttle Jockey

Post by wayneraintree » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:00 am

Please sign and pass along to every forum/email list you think might help. Thanks!

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/sandlick/

SweetPee
Official Club Member

Post by SweetPee » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:38 am

wayneraintree wrote:Please sign and pass along to every forum/email list you think might help. Thanks!

Done, but man I wish I could edit my comment. can't spell worth a lick today!

Reeko
Golf Pro

Post by Reeko » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:22 pm

Jeff,

I posted this over on Pirate but can we have the petition modified before too many people sign?

Pirate Post ****
Jeff,

Only one small issue. This area has never been officially "open" to OHV and the signs all state closed to OHV. That is the loop hole that the woods cops are using to write tickets when they catch people down there without tags and insurance. Can you modify the petition so we can start sending it in?

wayneraintree
Throttle Jockey

Post by wayneraintree » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:28 pm

Look at map index 21...

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/maps/2010cumbmvum.pdf

212, 212A, 2045 are open to highway legal vehicles. If you are in an unlicensed buggy, then it is liable for a ticket. Does that make sense?

wayneraintree
Throttle Jockey

Post by wayneraintree » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:31 pm

SweetPee wrote:
wayneraintree wrote:Please sign and pass along to every forum/email list you think might help. Thanks!

Done, but man I wish I could edit my comment. can't spell worth a lick today!

yours IS funny :chug

Reeko
Golf Pro

Post by Reeko » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:37 pm

That is OK Sweetpee as Kentucky no longer things "Education Pays." so he may not even notice.

:chug

wayneraintree
Throttle Jockey

Post by wayneraintree » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:41 pm

OK, I replaced OHV with highway-legal vehicle trail system. Hope that clears things up :rock

wayneraintree
Throttle Jockey

Post by wayneraintree » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:07 am

Bump... if anyone can crosspost this onto onto forums.... it would be great!